Are you a creative person? Do you have more ideas than you can handle? What do you do with them all?
I’m the type of person that has a zillion ideas running around in my head. So many, that it’s a challenge to keep up and make sure I capture the good ones in some way. So, I’ve worked out ways to keep track of ideas and inspiration as they come along:
- Capture them at bedtime. I’m a night person, and if I don’t get horizontal before a certain time at night, my brain turns on. Sleep then evades me for quite a while. So, I keep a small notebook at my bedside to write down the good stuff, and other random thoughts that pop up in my brain. This calms my fears that I won’t remember important things in the morning.
- “Morning pages”. I use a large journal and write three pages first thing in the morning. I keep it at my bedside so I can roll over and grab it. It’s a great way to clear out my head in a stream of consciousness kind of way. I’ve discovered and processed some really interesting stuff this way!
- Traveling journal. I have a small notebook I keep with me at all times. It has a specific section in it for “Ideas”. Whenever something strikes me, I write it down. I also use this same notebook for meeting notes (with people, organizations, lectures, whatever.) Sometimes I get a brilliant idea in the middle of something, so I write it down!
- Record it. I have a small recorder on my smartphone so I can capture ideas if I somehow don’t have paper and pen. (This also works well while driving.)
- Put them on the calendar. Ideas are great, but if they are just captured and never implemented, they don’t do much good. So, I take the ones I feel strongly about and put them on a long or short term Project or Task list. Dates will put those moments of brilliance in motion. (One of the ideas I captured a year ago became my radio show, The O-Myth!)
That’s how I capture my ideas and inspiration. How about you?