Receipts, parking passes, insurance cards, gift cards, maps, stamps…. did someone say we were going “paperless”? Uh, yeah. On the go means papers that can get out of hand. Here’s a few tips to get them under control!
- Your wallet is not a trash can: before you mindlessly shove another scrap of paper in there, is it really worth keeping?
- Have a system for keeping those papers in check: Use a small file that tucks into your briefcase or bag, and label, label, label!
- Use a tickler file: you don’t need to pack around tickets for that concert in two months, tuck them into a tickler file so you have them on the day you need them!
- Organize your car: Use a second accordion file for the car essentials: insurance card, parking pass, maps, money for the meter or parking prepaid card, registration, etc.
- Action files: What will you do with the papers you collect? Does it need to be filed? Acted on? Do you need to read it? Data Entry? Put a note on it, or use files to note what action it will need when you get it home or to the office.