Working in a home office is difficult enough, but then when you add your spouse or partner, it can be really challenging. However, if you establish some rules and boundaries, it can be done. Here’s some tips to help you get it together and work together without losing your mind.
- Establish boundaries: If you have separate email addresses, you need your own space. It doesn’t have to be separate rooms, but at least have different desks or work surface. Clear boundaries will alleviate the “what about my stuff” argument. Corporations have clear boundaries for desk space for very good reasons – like keeping the peace.
- Communication is key: If you have a conference call, make sure your “office mate” knows. Set up an agreement around meeting and phone call protocol . Better to do this before the fact, avoiding argument awkwardness during a 50 line conference call!
- Separate files: Keep your paperwork separate, in whatever system you choose. Make sure you can find it when you need it.
- PC means Personal Computer, not Let’s Fight Over the Computer: If you budget allows, have your own computer. Laptops are so affordable, and portable – just in case you need a breather.
- Have some understanding: Working together can be a lot of fun, and if you are prepared it will be even better for everyone. Remember compassion and understanding, and everyone will be happier in the long run!