Do you ever feel like you are drowning in paper? Loathe the thought of getting it all put away? Is your filing system a force to be reckoned with? Is it time for reboot?
There are many products out there that can help, but you can do it yourself with a little preparation, dedication and patience. Here’s the basics:
1. Gather supplies: Get yourself some banker boxes, manila folders (and hanging folders if you must), tab labels and paper clips.
2. Unload your filing cabinet one drawer at a time, and…
3. Sort, sort, sort! Sort out old paperwork that isn’t necessary (i.e. old utility bills), and start putting the “to keep” papers into categories. If you abhor filing, consider doing this project in 30 minute increments over a few days.
4. Load your papers into your banker boxes as you go along. Use categories that make sense to you.
5. When you are finished, reload your banker box contents into your old (or new) filing cabinet.
Lastly, be sure to keep up with your filing. Have a place for “to file” or put your papers away right when you get them. Set aside one day per week to actually DO it. Keep your filing system as simple as possible and keep on top of it. Now, get to it!