Feeling stressed? Maybe there is something you should or shouldn’t be doing. If you’re shouldering your share of stress, here’s some tips to help you de-stress and take a load off.
- Do something that makes you happy. When was the last time you did something you truly enjoy? Read a book that wasn’t work-related (ok, so I’m guilty of this). Go take a walk just because, and notice how beautiful a flower can be. Go to coffee with a friend you haven’t seen in a while. Play a card game with your spouse or partner without the TV. Go see a movie.
- Stop and think about what is stressing you out, and how you can alleviate the problem. Beth, of My Simpler Life Blog wrote beautifully on this, so I’ll link it HERE, because I couldn’t have written it better myself!
- Simplify Your Life. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – simplify your life. It’s east to let stuff (tangible or otherwise) take over and accumulate. Sometimes you have to edit your life and get rid of things that are not making sense, or making you unhappy. Is it easy? Sometimes not, but having the courage to take control of your own life is worth your sanity in the long run. (Incidentally, if you haven’t read Seth Godin’s new book, The Dip, I highly recommend it! It gives great tips on quitting, and what that means for you in the long run.)
- Will this matter in 5 years? A good, and ahem, more experienced friend of mine gave me some great advice several years ago: when faced with the day to day stuff, ask yourself, “will this matter in five years?” If the answer is no, then don’t sweat it.
- Concentrate on what is good in your life, and how to attract more of the good. Almost everyone on the planet is talking about The Secret, and for good reason. Concentrate on what is good in your life, and you will attract more of it to you. What you think about it, you will bring to your life – so make your thoughts good ones!
- Review this list. A great list from Jobacle on 50 things you can do to destress. Take 5 minutes to read it. You won’t be sorry!